... and how to prepare for one.
I've been shooting portraits for ten years now and the most repeated sentence in my experience as a photographer has been, "I'm just not photogenic." It's been a year and half since opening my Grand Rapids studio specializing in Female Portraiture and I don't see that statement going out of date anytime soon. But what I have come to realize is that it's absolutely untrue. There is not a single woman out there that can't be photographed in a way that makes them feel relaxed and beautiful. But not every photographer knows what it takes to do so. Connection. It's absolutely 100% about connection and it's our job as professional photographers to bring that out in our clients. The portraits that are the most captivating are the ones that capture the soul of their subject, the ones you can't help but stare at without really even knowing why!
All that being said, the first advice I can give you when preparing for a Boudoir Photoshoot is to:
1. Research your Photographer. Spend time reviewing their images, notice the different styles of retouching, lighting and posing to find the one that best fits your taste. Portraits are a big investment and you are trusting a perfect stranger with the most intimate and vulnerable aspects of yourself. Don't just go with the cheapest option, you will get cheap results and it won't feel good. Trust me, you WILL want to look back at your images some day just to remember how hot you were. ;)
2. Schedule a pre-shoot consultation. This is HUGE and a significant step in establishing trust and a connection with your photographer. Ask to see the studio, view more images, talk about your husband and kids. It could last 30 minutes, or if you've really made a connection as long as an hour! (This is a great sign that they are the one for you!)
3. Make sure to choose one that offers hair and makeup and if they don't, make sure to book your own prior to your shoot. The best way to go into such a naturally nerve wracking experience is to do so looking and feeling your best. Heck, make a day of it, a completely pampered day all about YOU! (When's the last time you did that?!)
4. Always bring more outfits then you are told. Your photographer (and stylist, depending on the studio.) will help you decide what will work best with the design of each studio set.
5. Lastly remember, you will get just as much out of it as you put into it. Spend some time shopping for something fabulous and unique to wear. Take the time to email back and forth with your photographer to discuss wardrobe, sets and concepts to get the most out of your experience and investment.
"COME ON LADIES, DO SOMETHING TODAY THAT YOUR FUTURE SELF WILL THANK YOU FOR!"
Ten Reasons to Book your Mod Bettie Portrait Session
1. You’ve wanted to do something special for yourself lately. Something different.
2. You’d like to have a picture of you that reflects your inner beauty and femininity.
A picture without a stiff, forced smile.
3. You’ve been working so hard taking care of everyone around you.
You deserve a day of pampering and beauty.
4. You can’t remember the last time you felt AND looked beautiful.
5. You need a little help finding your confidence and femininity again.
6. You want a reason to wear a new dress.
7. You want a reason to rock a new hairstyle.
8. You’ve always wondered what it would feel like to be a model for a day.
9. You need to let loose. Laugh. Be yourself. And get it in pictures so that you can have a reminder that you are beautiful as who you are right NOW.
10. You are looking for a unique gift for someone special. Something beautiful and classy.